Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Vision

I have never been good at setting goals. They just seem to "out there" for me. I know that they are important, largely because goals create the roadmap for action, but I have never been able to get my head around doing them.

As I have been pondering my current circumstances, along with the fact that the New Year is upon us I came to a blindingly obvious realization. I don't really like goals...but I DO like telling stories. I am an avocational actor - or at least I was - I understand the idea of creating an environment in which a character can thrive. Many, many moons ago Bill Sauer (yup, there he is again) led the Sr. leadership team at Homecrest in a visioning exercise. The idea was to create a picture of what we wanted the company to be. Now, I will fully admit that in this particular instance it didn't work out quite like any of us had envisioned, but I really think that the practice is still incredibly valid - and for me it is a lot less formal and intimidating that the ever present "goal setting."

It is a pretty interesting and simple process: Find a quiet spot to sit without distractions. If music helps you to relax, that's fine - but it should be very background and very non-intrusive. Adagio is actually proven to be the most relaxing. Set a pen and paper next to you - don't touch it, you don't need it yet.

Ok, now, sit down and close your eyes. Now simply picture what you would like your life or your job to look like. Maybe it is something as simple as picturing what your life would look like if you were happier at work or if you lost 10 or 20 pounds. Play make-believe. Imagine all of the details of what is the same and what is different. How do you act differently? What do you DO differently in your mind's eye?

Now, open your eyes and pick up the pen and paper. All that you do at this point is to describe, in writing, what was in your mind. Just tell the story of what your world looked like. The process of writing it down locks it into your brain. Be sure to capture as much detail as you can. The details are important. Write about what you saw and how you felt in the new imagined place. Nothing is too small or unimportant to make note of - in fact the smaller the better.

Once you have finished, give a good stretch and stand up. Now, with the picture of what is possible firmly in your mind...act as if it were true. You have your "goal" it is the picture in your head. You also have the means to achieve it. Just behave as though you already have it!
How would you act differently if you were 20 pounds lighter? Act that way. How would your home life be different if you loved your job? Consiously BE that way when you are home.

Did your picture include laying on the couch in front of the TV with no energy and cranky? I'm guessing not. So DON'T DO THAT. It really is just about re-imaging yourself.

Keep the picture of where you want to be firmly in your mind, and then just take little steps to get there. That is why I want you to imagine the small details...they are easier to change. Once the change begins, it is easier to continue. Go back to that place in your mind frequently. Remind yourself of what it felt like and looked like. Re-read the description if it helps.

Give it a try - it seems to work better for me than the austere "goal setting."

Have a happy and safe New Year and I'll be back in '09!

1 comment:

lisa said...

More good ideas, and I like that you tell "how"...exactly. Not just "set some goals", like, no kidding....THEN what? I used to be good at visualization when I ran the mile in track, but I'd kind of lost that whole process.