Friday, November 28, 2008

Conversations for Possibility

Conversation. Dialog. Exchange of ideas.

I believe that this is where everything starts. Every movement. Every innovation. Every step forward - no matter how small. An idea, not shared, does not inspire action. Things start to HAPPEN when more people become aware of the idea. They get involved, they may even get jazzed up about it - THAT'S when the ball starts to roll.

An issue for me historically is opening myself up enough to share. I don't want to look like a fool. Don't want to hear "that's dumb." I have had some pretty good ideas that I have been afraid to share, only to see them on the market some time later. I have a feeling that it has happened to you too. Try to get over it. The risks of not doing it are too great. The risk of not trying, of not working toward something that you would truly love or have fun with. Dare to talk about it.

That's not to say that you might not have to work a bit to find your audience. There have been times when I have finally garnered the courage to mention an idea to a friend who I thought would be enthusiastic - only to hear "why do you thing YOU can do it? Don't you think other people have tried to do that?" It is discouraging; even a little painful. That does not mean that I shouldn't try again. Those friends just couldn't quite bridge the gap between where we are and the vision of the possible. That's ok. It just means that I need to expand the conversation. The list of things that we have accomplished that were "impossible" is staggering. I'm not saying not to take constructive critism - I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt.

The five most exciting words that anyone can approach me with are "Hey, I have an idea." That is where possiblity starts. "Wouldn't it be cool if..." are pretty good too. They indicate someone is excited about a new possibility. It is the people who embrace the possiblities in life that make the world go 'round.

No comments: