Friday, November 28, 2008

I Can't...

Attitude is contagious. You've been there right? You are having a pretty good day. You are up and enthusiastic - and then someone comes into your space and sucks all of the life, energy and joy out of you. We've all had it happen to us, and we have probably all done it someone else. We have been both thief and victim.

Pay attention to the energy that you are putting out.

I am amazed at how fast the attitude of "I can't" can pervade an organization. A lot of people are accustomed to justifying why they can't do something - indeed why it cannot be done at all. Be careful. You'll be surprised at how fast you will be pulled in if you aren't careful.

Watch your own language and attitudes. Pause before leaping to the default "I can't". Give yourself just 5 or 6 seconds to process how you COULD do what is being asked rather than immediately leaping to why you can't.

This isn't just about work life. I find that the level of transference of attitude is pretty high. You may be "good" at compartmentalizing; at leaving work at work, but if you are, I think that you are the exception, not the rule. That 5 or 6 second pause can be a real benefit - regardless of the circumstances.

Give it a shot - just 5 seconds to focus on "I can".

No comments: